
New Orleans Saints tight end Treyton Welch (82) recovers a fumble on a punt return by the Los Angeles Chargers during the first half of a preseason NFL football game Sunday, Aug. 10, 2025, in Inglewood, Calif. (AP Photo/Eric Thayer)
by Hunter Dawkins, Owner/Publisher – editor@thegazebogazette.com or hdawkins@supertalk.fm
LOS ANGELES (GG) — In the first game, the New Orleans Saints allowed three turnovers, seven penalties, and gave up 5 sacks to drop the preseason contest to the Los Angeles Chargers 27-13 at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California Sunday, August 10, 2025.
Despite New Orleans finishing with 52 yards more total offense than the Chargers (300-248), the three turnovers, seven penalties, and being 0-2 in the red zone limited the opportunities for the Saints. Additionally, the Chargers defense had a goal-line stand and a strip-sack that led to a turnover while dominating the Saints.
Scoring Summary
After taking an early three point lead from Los Angeles kicker Cameron Dicker in the first quarter, Chargers backup Trey Lance came in and marched down the field on 14 plays for a 5-yard scramble with 1:38 left in the half. With a failed two-point conversion, the Chargers lead was 9-0.
New Orleans countered with a 10-play drive behind rookie Quarterback Tyler Shough for a Blake Groupe 31-yard field goal at the halftime buzzer to put the Saints on the scoreboard 9-3. Shough was intercepted by rookie Eric Rogers on a pass intended for Dante Pettis on the Saints’ first possession of the third and returned for a 43-yard touchdown. Once the two point conversion was successful, the lead was 17-3 in favor of the Chargers.
Shough came back with a touchdown pass to Mason Tipton for 54-yards and Charlie Smyth made the extra point, leaving the Saints trailing 17-10.
Unfortunately, New Orleans would not get closer as Rogers intercepted another pass from New Orleans Saints backup Quarterback Jake Haener with 3:47 left in the game. This interception led to a Raheim Sanders 11-yard touchdown run with only 1:46 left and a 27-10 lead.
What the Coach Said
Kellen Moore made his head coaching debut for the Saints, having worked as offensive coordinator for Super Bowl champion Philadelphia in 2024-25. Previously serving in the same role with the Chargers in 2023.
“Great lesson for our guys as this was a first step, one big lesson for us is that we have to protect the football,” said Moore at the press conference. “The way we respond is valuable for our team. I think you are always looking at when the opportunity presents itself. We have to understand the situations we put ourselves in.”
Brandon Staley was back at SoFi Stadium as defensive coordinator for the Saints. He was head coach of the Chargers from 2021-23.
Numbers Never Lie
Spencer Rattler started at quarterback and played five possessions in the first half (all but one). The second-year pro out of South Carolina was seven of 11 for 53 yards and ran three times for 22 yards in his 28 snaps. Tyler Shough, the team’s second-round pick out of Louisville, led a field goal drive in a two-minute situation at the end of the first half and also connected on the team’s only touchdown pass. He was 15 of 22 for 165 yards with a touchdown and a pick-six.
Up Next
The New Orleans Saints will host Jacksonville at the Caesar’s Superdome Sunday, August 17, 2025. The game will be broadcast at 12pm on the NFL Network.
Front Photo: New Orleans Saints quarterback Tyler Shough (6) throws under pressure from Los Angeles Chargers linebacker Kylan Guidry (59) during the first half of a preseason NFL football game Sunday, Aug. 10, 2025, in Inglewood, Calif. (AP Photo/Jayne Kamin- Oncea)